Wednesday, September 9, 2015

ADRENAL FATIGUE

Sleep. That's all I wanted to do. For about a month I spent as much time as possible either taking a nap, or at the very least I kept my body in the horizontal position in order to rest. I found it painfully difficult to get off the couch even for the simple things like using the
restroom. My body may have been screaming at me to get up, but I simply did not want to move. It was as though my batteries needed to be recharged, but the electrical current was taking a hiatus from getting its groove on. I was stuck.



Even prior to this period of intense exhaustion, the signs were there. I should have seen the writing on the wall. I just wasn't paying attention until it got more serious. However, for about a year I had been having trouble getting out of bed in the morning. I forced myself to get up, but it wasn't an easy feat. Moreover, I haven't been feeling like writing much. Writing is my passion, but you wouldn't know it as of late. Before this all started I kept up with all my blogs, my inspirational monthly newsletter and other projects that I am working on, but most of that has been falling by the wayside. It felt like torture to sit at my desk. By the time I reached the pinnacle of my exhaustive state, I was resting for up to a couple of hours so that I could have enough energy to take a five minute break from nap-time in order to take care of my dishes only to return to the couch after only a few minutes.

It wasn't as though I wasn't sleeping through the night either. On the contrary, I had been sleeping better than I ever had before. Lack of sleep was certainly not the issue. At first, I chalked it up to an energetic shift that my body was picking up on, but as the pattern continued, I realized there was more to it then just that. After four weeks of this nonsense, I decided it was high time to get down to business and do a little research.

Initially, I figured to go straight to the Source and ask The Universe what was up with my body. Meditation is your one-stop shop to find out all the answers that we seek. Think Google multiplied by infinity. It's our internal library system that we can use at any time without having to step outside our doors to get there.

Accordingly, I quieted my mind I was told to take a look at my adrenals. I wasn't even sure what an adrenal was, but hey, who am I to argue with The Universe? Truth be told, a friend of mine had warned me that my adrenals might be an issue a few weeks prior to my meditation, but I was too tired to take note of her suggestion. She may have been a messenger, but I wasn't ready to hear it yet. However, now that my internal wisdom was giving me the same information, I knew it was time I stood up to pay attention. Well, I didn't really stand up. I couldn't handle that as of yet.

Modern technology to the rescue!

I may not have felt like sitting at my desk, but I could pick up my phone. So, while taking comfort in lying down on my couch, I got to work. When I typed in the "adrenal" I came across a plethora of information on adrenal fatigue. So, that seemed like a good enough place to start. I clicked on the first of many reports on the subject and as I read the symptoms, I discovered that I had all of them. The bell rang off in my head. It was clear to me that this was my problem.

MY SYMPTOMS

          *Overly tired, to the point of sheer exhaustion
          *Lack of energy
          *Not wanting to do much of anything, including my beloved writing
          *Salt and sugar cravings
          (I was using up to four times the amount of salt on my food as normal)
          *A bit (not much, but a bit) more energy from the hours of 6-9 pm
          *Moodiness 
          *Prolonged stress
          *Forgetfulness and a general fog in my mind
          (even reading was difficult, because I would have to re-read page after page)
          *Trouble with healing other minor injuries or ailments

Certainly, all of these symptoms could have been caused by other ailments, but I decided to look up some holistic cures for this particular affliction anyway to see what would happen.

HEALING STONES:

I am a collector of stones and I have an ample supply of healing crystals. Ergo, since it was already in my home that would be my first stop. I discovered that rose quartz, kyanite and aventurine were some of the many stones that are effective in healing this malady. Instead of trying just one, I grabbed one of each to create a triple dose of healing goodness.

I held the stones in my hands and began an hour long meditation. Almost immediately I could feel the energy blasting in the adrenal area of the body—but it didn't end there. It was clear that the source of the energy was focused on that area, but it also moved down the lengths of my legs to the tips of my toes and upward to the crown of my head. That is very unusual. For the most part, healing stones work on a specific area or two that are most in need, but my whole body was getting in on the action. It seemed pretty clear to me that the adrenals were affecting not just those organs, but my entire body. Even within this short period of time, I was beginning to feel better.

Image of the adrenals.

I decided to continue the healing process during my sleep time. I kept the three stones next to me on my bed. I asked The Universe to utilize my mattress as an intermediary between the stones and my body. It worked, my entire body began to energetically vibrate from the mattress that was receiving energy from the stones. Additionally, I added two flat amber resin pieces to my healing recipe. I laid on top of them, placing each of them underneath the kidney area.

The adrenals are crescent moon shaped organs attached to the kidneys and I figured the amber would be good for grounding their energy into my human form. The energy radiated specifically in that part of my body, but once again I felt it everywhere. Admittedly, while it felt really good, it was difficult for me to fall asleep. But the next morning when I awoke I had more energy than I had in a month. Less sleep and feeling invigorated. That was certainly a switch.

WHAT ARE THE ADRENALS ANYWAY?

I was already feeling much better, but how could these little body parts make me feel this way? Well, the adrenals are a part of the glandular system, which means they produce hormones—those lovely organisms that help to regulate our bodies. In this case, there are two parts of the adrenals that, according to www.EndocrineWeb.com, produce the following:

  • The adrenal cortex—the outer part of the gland—produces hormones that are vital to life, such as cortisol (which helps regulate metabolism and helps your body respond to stress) and aldosterone (which helps control blood pressure).
  • The adrenal medulla—the inner part of the gland—produces nonessential (that is, you don’t need them to live) hormones, such as adrenaline (which helps your body react to stress).
In essence, they are the management team of the stress situation in our bodies.

ADRENAL FATIGUE CAUSES:

So, what causes adrenal fatigue? According to allopathic medicine, it is not something that can be easily identified. So, a Western doctor will likely not consider it a real thing. However, alternative medical practitioners say that it is caused by prolonged stress and/or chronic respiratory infections—both of which I have had. According to www.AdrenalFatigue.org, "Certain lifestyles (such as) poor diet, substance abuse, too little sleep and rest, too many pressures, chronic illness or repeated infections, such as bronchitis or pneumonia, prolonged situations that you feel trapped or helpless (bad relationships, stressful jobs, poverty, imprisonment) or maternal adrenal fatigue during gestation," are all causal factors in adrenal fatigue.

A few of those things fit me to a tee. Clearly, de-stressing was going to be at the heart of my healing process. So, I made it my mission to work on living in the present moment and not worry about tomorrow. Meditation is always a key factor in de-stressing, particularly grounding exercises. Ergo, I added that to my healing toolkit, as well.

HEALING with ORGANIC FOODS & SUPPLEMENTS:

My stones helped me to feel better and I had more information about what the adrenals were, but I still had more work to do do. Knowing that ORGANIC food is a primary healing tool for me, I next looked at my food intake. According to my research, it is important to eat a lot of protein in the morning for breakfast and a medium intake of protein for lunch. I added two hard-boiled eggs to my meal and it seemed to help get me through my work day with much greater ease. Proteins are the building blocks of life and they are known for the curative properties. It would stand to reason that they would help in the healing of my over-tiredness.

Supplements were next on my to-do list. While there are many things listed online, what spoke to my intuition for my personal healing were four things: ORGANIC vitamin C (so not the stuff made with absorbic acid. The real stuff only people); ORGANIC ginseng root; ORGANIC B-Complex; and ORGANIC chamomile tea. I already had the tea so I started with that and ordered the rest online to be delivered.

While these supplements are good for a whole host of different reasons, the following is what caught my attention for my own needs:

*ORGANIC vitamin C is the good old standby for helping with the immune system, but you may not know that helps with handling our stress.

*ORGANIC ginseng root helps with fatigue and the immune system.

*ORGANIC B-Complex contains the eight different types of B vitamins and helps with digestion and keeping our bodies energized.

*ORGANIC chamomile is known for its calming factors so I supposed it would be good for calming my nerves.

Hmm, there seemed to be a common theme here.

ROAD TO RECOVERY:

It was pretty obvious to me that by holding onto my stress, I was creating the dynamic for the internal implosion to take place. After utilizing the various resources in my burgeoning healing toolkit, I am now on the road to recovering to the good old me, sitting here, writing these words, and loving every minute of it. 

...And that is a good thing!

Thank you for reading about my Organic Bliss!

***Please keep in mind that all healing tools that I discuss on this blog are what worked for me.  Every 'body' is different and therefore each person must find the treatments that works best for them.  Also, I am not a medical doctor, so please consult your physician prior to trying any remedies offered on this site.

Additional sources:
www.webmd.com
www.dailyburn.com