Friday, September 20, 2013

Holy Mackerel

The other day I exuberantly expressed to whomever was listening a lighthearted, “Holy mackerel!”  What can I say, it amuses me to use corny words and phrases.  What I didn’t expect was for someone to respond by asking if I actually ate mackerel.  Without thinking,
I uttered the first thing that popped into my head, “I wouldn’t dream of eating mackerel since most sea creatures are endangered and I refuse to contribute to their loss.”  As it turns out, the mackerel is on the endangered list.


Admittedly, I have never been one to eat seafood of any kind.  I just don’t like the taste.  When I was a kid, I used to pawn off the rare fish my mother served us for dinner to my brother under the table.  He in turn, ravenously indulged in eating whatever I gave to him.  As I got older, I realized how healthy seafood is for us and would tell people that I wished I liked it, but alas that will never be the case.  I can’t even stand to have the smell of seafood in my home!  I mean I like looking at fish, but I don’t want my mouth anywhere near one. 

Needless to say, it is easy for me to harp on the fact that we shouldn’t eat seafood, since I am not a fan of it myself.  However, that’s not what this article is about.  On the contrary, my intention here is to invite people to know what they are eating, how it got to them and to honor whatever food item is being consumed. 

That being said (or at least written), it’s an unfortunate fact of our modern life, that most of us just go to the grocery store and pick out what looks best with little thought about where it came from.  What many of us either don’t realize, or worse yet, what we don’t care about, is that it is because of mass industrialized fishing, where nets are used, that the life of our planet’s oceans are at risk. 

Over three-quarters of our sea life is endangered.  This includes fifteen types of mammals (ie whales, dolphins and seals); one hundred and forty-eight seafood eating birds; sixty-four types of fish; seventy-seven corals, jellyfish and sea anemones; twenty-two crustaceans (meaning shrimp), three types of clams, seventeen types of snails, not to mention all the plants and other life-forms that are all facing extinction because of over-fishing.  We are rapidly losing a ubiquitous amount of oceanic life forms. 

Let’s face it; throughout much of mankind’s history, we have not had the easy access to food as we do today.  We were once hunters and gatherers and were grateful for each meal.  Now with the industrialization of how food is processed, we take what we eat for granted.  In the meantime, we are depleting the ocean of its life.  The problem is not only that we are creating a planet without enough food to eat; we are also taking away pieces of the puzzle that make the unit, called Earth, whole.  Each creature serves a purpose.  When one is gone, we are all affected.

Take, for instance, the tropical kelp.  Kelp is a type of seaweed that often grows in large communities of “kelp forests.”  It has a complex ecosystem where many creatures reside.  However, with the shifting dynamic of sea-life, many herbivores, such as sea urchins that are not indigenous to kelp forests are moving to this ecosystem to feed.  Since there isn’t a natural predator, it is diminishing the sea kelp by an alarming rate.  This, in turn, has the bi-product that all the natural residents are losing their homes and livelihood, as well.

We must remember that it’s not just the indigenous sea life that is affected.  We humans need all of our plants and trees to help us breathe.  We breathe in the oxygen and breathe out the carbon dioxide that plants need; while plants absorb the carbon dioxide and release the oxygen that we need.  Each Being, whether plant, animal or element has a relationship with one another. 

Not only is there over-fishing, but it is estimated that 27 million tons (that’s tons) of fish goes to waste and is thrown out every year.  All this is because someone is trying to make a buck without thinking of the larger scale cost.

Furthermore, I remember seeing an image on Facebook that showed what the average size of a particular fish was in 1900 and then every few decades through today.  Over-fishing doesn’t allow for the fish to grow to its proper size and most fish are only about one-quarter of the size they naturally would be if we had never industrialized our fishing techniques. The sad truth is that they are continually getting smaller too.  It is estimated that the average size of our fish will be about half of what it is now by 2050.  It’s time to open our eyes and notice that we have lost touch with what is happening in our natural world.

On the other side of the coin, there are those who fish responsibly.  The boyfriend of one of my girlfriends goes out to the creeks or rivers to spend time fishing.  He brings his rod in tow and loves every minute of it.  He is not capturing thousands of animals that will go waste.  He is catching a small amount that he and his partner will then consume for themselves.  He is being conscientious and is participating in the cycle of life by respecting Mother Earth and all its creatures—whereas mass-fishing clearly does not.

So, the next time you reach for a can of tuna, remember that it didn’t originally come from a store.  It came from a sea, where not only your tuna was captured, but many other fish that will go to waste, as well as many mammals who can’t breathe in the nets that they are captured in.  If you really have a hankering for tuna then why not go out to the ocean with an individual rod and catch one for yourself.  Then show gratitude to the Being that you consume, as it has given its life to nourish you.

Thank you for reading about my Organic Bliss!

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelp_forest