Saturday, January 7, 2017

Cracked Corners of the Mouth and Menopause

One cold wintery morning, I awoke to find the corners of my mouth chafed. Red, raw and cracked, I could not only see the reflection staring back at me in the mirror, I could feel the itching and burning before I even got out of bed. Ouch! I figured it was due to the cold
weather. So, I did what anyone would do. I put creams, and lotions on them to try to hydrate them. They didn't work. I next tried antiseptics, hydrocortozone, and ointments. No change. Nyet. Nada. Nunca. After awhile, I just covered the corners with my face powder. It helped to take the sting away. It even helped, to some degree, to hide the blemishes (for about any hour anyway). Eventually, the powdered covered cracks began to look cake-y. So, I would put more powder on them, only for the process to begin again an hour later. Clearly this wasn't the answer. Winter turned into spring, which turned into summer and the cracks were still there! I was at my wits end. Was I going to have to live for the rest of my life with this cracked mouth syndrom?


That's when I found the answer.

I had an appointment with an accupuncturist who was trained in Chinese Medicine. When I explained my issue, she told me this was a common condition with women in perimenopause and menopause. She said that I needed vitamin B.

Vitamin B to the rescue!

The only problem was that I didn't know which Vitamin B to get. So, I bought B-Complex. It worked. However, I had to take 4 pills a day—every single day—in order for it to work. And there was one other drawback. I started getting hot flashes. I don't mean a few hot flashes. I mean every few minutes, my body moved from being arctic cold, to needing to strip off my clothes because my body felt like a conflagration was full steam ahead inside my body—and this went on all day long!

More investigation was required.

It turns out that some Vitamin B's actually cause hot flashes. Niacin is one of the main culprits, but apparently niacinamide works to relieve hot flashes. I have as of yet to try them, so I do not have first hand experience with that. At this point, I am just concerned about those cracks in my mouth.

Angular Cheilitis is what the medical profession calls this phenomenon. According to WebMD, it "can be caused by infection, a diet too low in vitamins, and over-closure of the mouth in someone who has been without teeth or dentures for some time." All I knew is that my hormones being out of whack was the cause for mine and I needed to figure out which Vitamin B I needed to make this issue go away.

That's when I discovered Riboflavin, which is another name for Vitamin B2. Here is what I can say about Riboflavin. It's my hero! 400 milligrams in one tablet per day did the job. And instead of 50-100 hot flashes per day that I was having with the B Complex, I went down to about three to five. A win-win if you ask me.

Now I have to admit, I did miss a day of my vitamin taking and the cracked corners of the mouth came back. In just one day. So, clearly it's imperative for me to take it on a daily basis, but if that means having my healthy mouth back, I am okay with that.

Moreover, Riboflavin is also the energy booster. I can attest that I have more energy since I have been taking it. According to the Organic Facts website, "It helps in the conversion of carbohydrates to sugar, which fuels the body's many functions. Riboflavin also plays an active part in the electron transport chain that produces cellular energy. Furthermore, it helps in the processing of amino acids and fats. It can also serve as an antioxidant, which slows the pace of aging." Well, hallelujah for Riboflavin!

Needless to say, I am a fan. No more cracks and more energy to boot. It's all a good thing!

Happy healing...and thank you for reading about my Organic Bliss!

***Please keep in mind that all healing tools that I discuss on this blog are what worked for me. Every 'body' is different and therefore each person must find the treatments that works best for them. Also, I am not a medical doctor. So, please consult your physician prior to trying any remedies offered on this site.

references:

Sail through Menopause with a Little B and E
Mouth Problems, Non-Injury-Topic Overview
Health Benefits of Vitamin B2 or Riboflavin