Friday, July 12, 2013

Hemp: The Organic Super-Food

As I dive ever more deeply into the world of the Organic, I discover new things all the time.  My latest find is something I thought I would never attempt to consume, just by the sheer nature of its name.  What is it, pray tell?  Well, it's the hemp seed (also referred to
as hemp nuts or hemp hearts). I live a clean and sober lifestyle, so needless to say, the thought of ingesting anything with the word 'hemp' in it was a little beyond my line of thinking.


I mean I was just minding my p's and q's at the farmer's market one day when the shop owner inquired if I had ever tried hemp hearts.  When my response was an emphatic, "No!" he not only encouraged me to try it, he practically forced me to to accept his sample.  He placed the seeds along with a write-up on the nutritional value of hemp hearts, as he called them, in my bag.  Even though I had no intention of trying it, I thanked him for his gift and went on my merry way.  Admittedly, when I arrived home, my curiosity got the best of me.  I began reading his three-page brochure on it and low and behold I was intrigued.

First of all, my fear that the THC (or tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the mind-altering ingredient in cannabis) would be significant enough to alter my perception, was completely unfounded.  The amount of THC is either non-existent or at such a small proportion, it can be likened to eating poppy seeds.  Though opium comes from the poppy plant there is little danger of getting stoned from a poppy-seeded bagel—and it is the same with hemp seeds.  Thus, my fears were subsided and I not only tried it, I actually liked it!

Granted, there isn't much flavor with the hemp seeds, but as a hypoglycemic who constantly has to eat in order to maintain my blood sugar levels, I noticed that I was able to eat less than what is normal for me, because of the amount of protein in the seeds.  I feel filled up much longer than usual and that means my body is a happy camper indeed. So, this skeptic converted into an unlikely promoter of the stuff.  

OK, now that that is settled, let's move on to the nutritional value of hemp seed.

Amino Acids:

Amino acids are the building blocks for proteins, which in turn are the building blocks for life.  We need these amino acids in our diet to prevent disease.  Our body naturally produces only nine of the twenty types of amino acids needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  So, it is important that we look at our diet to provide the rest.  The good news is that hemp seeds provides all the amino acids required to create balance in the body.  In fact, in the world of plants, the amount of protein in hemp seeds is second only to the soybean.

Among other things, protein, in general, provides us with energy to go about our daily business in order to do what we need to do.  It is part of what creates the muscle mass in our bodies.  It aids in healthy blood circulation.  It is even a healer.

As a child I was in a serious bicycle accident where I missed two months of school.  Half of my face was scraped away underneath blood, scabs and several goose eggs.  I broke two teeth along with my jaw and couldn't eat for two weeks, which meant I had to "eat" everything from a straw.  My mom knew the health benefits of  protein and added ample amounts to every shake I drank.  The results were miraculous.  While I have one tiny scar underneath my chin that is not noticeable unless I point it out, the rest of my face completely healed—all thanks to the protein.  

Since hemp seeds contain 25 grams of protein per 100 grams consumed, imagine what it will do for you.

Essential Fatty Acids:

Fatty acids do not mean greasy french fries that create harmful fat in the body.  Fatty acids are necessary for maintaining a healthy body.  Hemp seeds contain all the good stuff that is needed including omega-3 and omega-6.  According to FitDay, "these fatty acids are paramount in preventing such things as depression, osteoporosis and heart disease.  They have also been associated with the reduction of joint pain and memory loss."  Well, that all sounds good to me!

Fiber:

There are 28 grams of fiber per 100 grams of hemp seed.  According to Forbes, fiber helps with our cholesterol levels. It aids us in preventing diseases such as cancer, strokes, kidney stones, and irritable bowel syndrome.  It improves our blood sugar levels. In fact, it assists us in maintaining a healthful heart and healthful skin. And let's not forget that it helps with our weight management, as well.  

Fiber cleans out all the stuff that is no longer serving us in the body—and that is a good thing.

...and there's more: 

Vitamins A, B-6, C, D, E and niacin, riboflavin and thiamin are included in the benefits of the seed.  It is also loaded with minerals, including calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.  And most importantly, hemp seeds are easy on the body to digest.

Where do I get it?

While it is certainly true that it is still illegal to grow the plant in this country, with the exception being, of course, for medicinal purposes in some states, the seeds are legally imported and can be found in natural health food stores and farmer's markets.

What can it be used for?


Despite the fact that the Chinese and other cultures have known about the health benefits of hemp for centuries, in the Western world it is still fairly new.  Yet, the nutritional value cannot be argued.  Use it where you normally would put seeds and nuts.  Add it to your morning organic grains and cereals.  Sprinkle it on a salad.  Or hey, why not dress up your evening main course with it?  Really, just about anything goes.  If you can think of it, then go ahead and create it.  Simply put, if you are feeling a bit daring and want to create a super-food for your super body, then go ahead and try some organic hemp seed.

Thank you for reading about my Organic Bliss!

Sources:

http://www.wisegeek.org
http://www.forbes.com